The Bellary Fort brings a chronological significance to most of us. Situated 300 km from Bangalore, it is a spectacular and historical fort which is being famed as Fort Hill. This majestic fort was being built by Hanumappa Nayaka during the Vijayanagara era. In 1769, Hyder Ali of Mysore raged this fort and occupied it. After that, this fort was being renovated by a French engineer. History says, this engineer was executed since he miscalculated its height and the fort was made easily visible from a hill called Kumbara Gudda and thus its military location was being affected. The east gate of the fort witnesses the punishment given to the French engineer where his grave can still be found.
The Bellary Fort is fractioned into two parts: the upper fort or Fort Hill, constructed by Nayak and the lower fort or Face Hill, constructed by Ali. Both the upper and lower hills symbolized the empowerment of these two rulers. The way to access to the Upper Fort is through navigating a rocky, winding path over the boulders. It is a polygonal walled site with no garrison room. The lower fort is accessible through two gates from the eastern and the western sides respectively. The eastern side of the fort is blessed with a Hanuman temple which is known as the Kote Anjaneya Temple and the lower fort is equipped with barracks and arsenals.
During the British ruling, this fort was added with more structures including stores, a post office, a church, an orphanage and private homes. This place is now more ornamented with a number of public buildings and other institutions and is a famous place for the tourists now days.